This is the second “Go Bears” hat … now, both the little grandkids will have a “mascot hat” for their Mom’s school.
(Note: the hat really is purple… the camera didn’t want to pick up on the colour today for some reason).
The basic hat is one that I use all the time. RepeatCrafter Me did a lot of work to get a good, basic hat pattern and it is wonderful. So this is what I use. LINK
I do the ear flaps differently, however.
When I finish the hat itself, ending at the back of the hat, I slip stitch to the place that I want to add the earflap. Generally, the flap is 10-12 stitches wide and placed almost in the middle of the side of the hat. I do tend to put the flap more at the back than the front. So it looks something like this: slip stitch 8; dc 12 . (and that leaves 10 stitches to reach the front point of the hat).
I then do the decreasing of the dc as stated in RepeatCrafterMe’s pattern.
When I get to the end point, I slip stitch down the front of the flap, around the front of the hat and then do the second ear flap, again placing it at the same “stitch count” as the first one.
When I complete that flap, I slip stitch down the back of the flap and around to the back/beginning.
Now I change colours and single crochet around the entire hat, putting 3 sc in the tip points of each ear flap. These spots are where the fringe is attached.
- magic ring with 8 dc; join together
- 2 double in each stich – except the past one, to create a semi-circle shape; turn … 14 stitches
- 1 d around…change to white at the end…leave long tail of purple for sewing on the ear
- decrease, with the with using extended sc (one for every two dc stitches)
- repeat above
- repeat above; finish off the white and stitch the ear to the hat (to the side of the hat’s magic ring).
Repeat for second ear.
- magic ring with 10 dc
- 2 dc in each except last one, again making a semi-circle
- sc in 6 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; 1 dc; 2dc; 2dc; 2dc; 1dc; 2 hdc; 2 sc
- dc in 6 stitches; 2dc; 1dc ; 1dc;2 dc; 1 dc; 1 dc; 2 dc; around, leaving the last 6 stitches for dc
- finish off, leaving long tail for sewing onto the hat
- magic ring with 5 sc; join
- 2 dc in each but don’t join; turn
- sc sc hdc 2dc 2dc 2dc hdc sc sc;
- finish off leaving a long tail
- sew onto muzzle and add the bottom part of the nose as you are attaching
- sew on two dark black buttons for eyes.
Yarns: smc bravo
Debbie (life & crocheting have a lot in common: it's all about one stitch at a time.)